Monday 13 September 2010

For the Motherland!

Drew came round and we found ourselves with unexpected playing time available on Sunday in between lawn mowing and door painting. So, aside from an interruption to chop up a dozen pigeons for the freezer (no, really) battle was joined!

We played the scenario wherein three control points award victory tokens, 7 being needed to win. Drew took a jack-heavy eSorscha list. I took all the models I have :)

TBH Looking back I knew I fluffed this early on, going in with no real plan as such. Drew then proceeded to spank me for my lack of foresight. In a nutshell, 2 turns of maneuvering were followed by an explosion of violence in the board centre. The Dire Troll Mauler fell without swinging a punch, crushed by the shitload of death that Beast 09 carries in each sweaty fist. The trolls had seized one flank marker a turn earlier than the Khadorians had, making it impossible for Drew to just camp for victory and let the middle marker be a contested zone. So, due to poor positioning, I found the Axer and Hero engaged by a Kodiak whilst the Mauler died.

A few poor dice didn't help, but the real culprit as Drew who was perfectly gentlemanly, but totally punishing in his exploitation of my crappy layout. After an Impaler died I was left with an over-extended Madrak being borne down on by A Kodiak and the Beast, whilst a badly wounded Axer duelled Sorscha and another Kodiak in the middle.

I had one end-game plan (well, two variations on the plan). First, if the Impaler could slam the Beast even 1", Madrak could pop Crusher and storm the rear of a Mechanik line- overtake would easily carry him around into Sorscha's rear and filleting would ensue. This failed to happen on a boosted roll. Arse.

No matter, as the variant plan had Madrak charge away from the Beast, risking the free strike but with the Scroll of Endurance to soak the attack. Then he could engage Sorscha at the front for a less guaranteed, but still very likely caster kill. All that had to happen was that Drew didn't roll a double in the 3-6 range for the crit freeze from Beast 09. Easy.

Double 3. Double arse.

I conceded at this point, as this left Madrak stationary next to Beast 09 hitting  automatically and with only a Axer with 4 damage points left in control range.

TBH I was happy with losing- it was a good game and I didn't deserve to win. Drew played a solid and well-planned list while I ambled across the board with no real intent. I only really felt the final caster kill plan was anything decent, and the dice gods felt I did not deserve victory for this alone!

Anyway, that's the game. Pics below, and I will push Drew for some writeups of his won to post soon so the game breakdowns are not always so "troll-centric"!

Hoping my stuff comes soon,

Russ

Khadorian Deployment
Trolls wander over to see what's up
Second Turn- the jockeying for position
is well under way.
What the trolls saw- not a pretty sight!
The Mauler breaks cover and heads for the
icon- this will be its doom.
Ouch! Scratch one Mauler, and it ain't so hot for
the other trolls either!
I was wrong- things COULD get worse...
time for last-ditch assassination run on Sorscha
THAT went as well as could be expected!

No comments: